Wednesday, December 10, 2014

TJ5A on 40 meters tonight

December 11th 2014 at 0000z on 7.173 I had a super qso with K8QS Quin in Grand Rapids Michigan and with Tom WA9TDD in Indiana. I was running 15 watts into my end fed antenna and got a S8 from Quin and S9 from Tom.
Reports was that the audio  has way too much bass and I was clipping, so I backed off the microphone until it was about 10 inches away, the clipping stopped and my signal only dropped slightly since I was not over driving the radio. The guys said the audio needs more highs and should come up about 800hz to start.
So was a great test tonight and lots of fun indeed playing with the TJ5A on 40 meters.
I will continue to play with this radio on SSB and CW and see how well it performs. It has a great receive on it and next step will be to get the 500hz cw filter into it and play around on the cw bands.
I had to make a very slight adjustment of the DDS clock for USB, I think I still need to adjust it a small amount, on LSB it sounds spot on to my FT857.

www.youkits.com


No comments:

Post a Comment