Sunday, December 7, 2014

Elecraft KX3

Well I have owned a Elecraft KX3 for just about 6 months now and I have to say this radio is a great all band transceiver.
Mine see's most of it's use on cw as that is my favorite mode of operation and I run it at 5 watts all the time. I purchased the cover and side handles for mine and it protects the front of the radio and all the knobs and buttons.
The ATU in this radio will tune anything so far that I have put on it, even in the car with the Chameleon V1L whip, it tuned lightning fast and allowed a qso with Europe.

This weekend I operated in the ARRL 160 meter cw contest and in less then 6 hours of actual operating time I made over 30 contacts and scored 1,080 points, with the best qso being Arizona with N7GP.

My antenna was a Chameleon Hy-Brid with 145' of wire, the Hy-Brid sits atop a 15' pole and I have a 8' ground rod at the bottom grounding out the pole. This setup works very well and tuning is broadband and works extremely well even with my HF ALE setup band hopping and tuning.

So again the KX3 is a great  radio and I look forward to more operating time this winter with it and getting used to all the features, like operating split SSB/CW for nets and just plain split operation etc.\



No comments:

Post a Comment